Schlage locks are some of the most popular on the market, but they can also be some of the most frustrating when they stop working. If your Schlage lock isn’t working, don’t worry – we’re here to help! In this article, we’ll answer some common questions about how to fix a Schlage lock that’s not working properly. We’ll also provide some tips on how to prevent this from happening in the future.
Make Sure You Input the Correct User Code
One of the most common reasons why a Schlage lock might not be working is because the wrong user code was inputted. If you’re having trouble with your Schlage lock, the first thing you should do is check to make sure that you’re inputting the correct code. If you’re not sure what the correct code is, you can usually find it in the manual that came with your lock.
Disable Lock Override if It Is Enabled
Another common reason why a Schlage lock might not be working is that the “lock override” feature is enabled. This feature is typically used when you need to change the code on your lock. However, if it’s not disabled after you’ve changed the code, it can prevent your lock from working properly.
To disable the lock override feature, press and hold the “Lock” button for five seconds. This will usually disable the feature and allow your lock to work properly again.
Deactivate Vacation Mode
If you have a Schlage smart lock, there’s a chance it’s in Vacation mode. This is a feature that conserves battery power while you’re away from your home. To check if your lock is in vacation mode, simply press the “Schlage” button on the front of the device. If the light next to the button is red, then your lock is in vacation mode.
To deactivate vacation mode, press and hold the “Schlage” button for five seconds. The light should turn green, indicating that vacation mode has been successfully deactivated. 
Try Using a Physical Key to Unlock the Lock
If you’re still having trouble with your Schlage lock, there’s a good chance it’s because the batteries are low. This can often happen if you don’t use your lock for an extended period of time. If you think this might be the case, try using a physical key to unlock the lock.
To do this, insert the key into the lock and turn it to the left. This should override the electronic locking mechanism and allow you to open the door. Once you’re inside, be sure to replace the batteries as soon as possible.
Check Whether Your Lock Is Correctly Installed or Not
If your Schlage lock is still not working properly, the problem may be with the installation. First, check to see if the strike plate is aligned correctly with the latch. If it’s not, you’ll need to adjust it so that it is.
Next, check to see if the screws on your lock are loose. If they are, tighten them up. Finally, make sure that no debris or other objects are blocking the keyway. If there is, remove it and try again.
As we mentioned earlier, one of the most common reasons why a Schlage lock might not be working is because the batteries are low. To prevent this from happening, be sure to replace the batteries in your lock every six months or so.
If you have a smart lock, you can also try using a higher-quality battery. This will usually provide more power and allow your lock to work for a longer period of time before needing to be replaced.
Restore Factory Default Settings
If your Schlage Lock is not working, one of the first things you should try is to restore the factory default settings. This will reset all the settings on your lock and might just be the fix you’re looking for.
To restore factory defaults on a Schlage Lock:
- Make sure your lock is powered off. If it’s not, press and hold the Schlage button until the red light comes on and then release.
- Press and hold the “Schlage” button and the “9” button at the same time. Keep both buttons pressed until the red light flashes 3 times (this should take about 5 seconds).
- Release both buttons and then press the “Schlage” button once. The lock should beep and the red light will flash 3 times again to indicate that the factory default settings have been restored.
Schlage Locks Batteries
If your Schlage lock is not working, one of the first things you should check is the batteries. Over time, batteries will naturally lose their charge and will need to be replaced. If your lock is not working, it’s a good idea to replace the batteries as they might be the problem.
Fortunately, replacing the batteries in a Schlage lock is a relatively simple process. All you need is a Phillips head screwdriver and a few minutes of time.
To replace the batteries in your Schlage Lock:
- Remove the screws from the battery cover using a Phillips head screwdriver.
- Lift off the battery cover to reveal the batteries inside.
- Remove the old batteries and insert new ones into the lock, making sure to match the + and – symbols.
- Replace the battery cover and screw it back into place.
- Test your lock to see if it’s working properly. If not, repeat the process until it does.
How Long Do Batteries Last in Schlage Locks?
On average, batteries in Schlage locks will last for about six months before needing to be replaced. However, this number can vary depending on how often you use your lock and what type of battery you’re using.
Can You Use Rechargeable Batteries in Your Schlage Keypad?
Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries in your Schlage keypad. We recommend it! Not only will it save you money in the long run, but it’s also better for the environment.
If you do decide to use rechargeable batteries, we recommend using a high-quality brand such as Energizer or Duracell. These batteries tend to last longer and provide more power than cheaper alternatives.
How Can You Tell If the Battery Is Low on Your Schlage Lock?
If you’re experiencing Schlage lock problems, the first thing you should do is check the batteries. Here are a few signs that they may be running low:
- The keypad is unresponsive or sluggish
- The bolt is slow to retract or doesn’t fully retract
- The LED light on the keypad is dim or flickering
If you notice any of these issues, it’s time to replace the batteries. To do so, first, locate the small hole on the outside of the lock (usually near the bottom). Insert a paperclip or other small object into this hole and release the battery retaining clip inside. Then, simply remove the old batteries and insert new ones in their place.
Extending Your Smart Lock Battery Life
While it’s important to know how to change your Schlage lock batteries, it’s even more important to know how to extend their life. Here are a few tips:
- Use high-quality batteries: Cheap batteries might save you money in the short term, but they won’t last as long as their more expensive counterparts. We recommend using a high-quality alkaline battery such as Energizer or Duracell.
- Avoid extreme temperatures: Batteries tend to last longer when they’re kept in moderate temperatures. If it’s too hot or too cold, the chemical reaction inside the battery will happen faster, causing it to drain more quickly.
- Turn off unnecessary features: If you’re not using a feature, there’s no reason to keep it on. For example, if you don’t need the LED light on your keypad, simply turn it off. This will help conserve battery power.
- Clean the terminals: Over time, dirt and grime can build up on the battery terminals, causing a poor connection. This can lead to reduced battery life. To clean the terminals, simply remove the batteries and wipe them down with a soft cloth.
By following these tips, you can extend the life of your Schlage lock batteries and avoid problems down the road.
Do Schlage Locks Come With a Warranty?
Yes, all Schlage locks come with a limited lifetime warranty. This means that if your lock fails to work properly due to a manufacturing defect, it will be repaired or replaced free of charge.
If you’re experiencing problems with your Schlage lock, the first thing you should do is check the batteries. If they’re low, replacing them may solve the problem. If not, contact us and we’ll be happy to help. 
Why Are Schlage Locks So Expensive?
Schlage locks are expensive because they’re made with high-quality materials and construction. They’re also designed to last a long time, which means you won’t have to replace them as often as you would with a cheaper lock. In the end, this saves you money.
How Secure Are Schlage Locks?
Schlage locks are very secure. They’re made with strong materials and construction, and they feature advanced security features such as deadbolts and tamper-proof screws.
Can Schlage Locks Be Hacked?
While no lock is 100% hack-proof, Schlage locks are very difficult to hack. This is due to their advanced security features and strong construction. If you’re concerned about lock security, we recommend choosing a Schlage lock.
Useful Video: How to Fix Schlage Electronic Keypad Deadbolt Lock: Won’t Unlock, Lock: Don’t Replace It, Fix It!
Many people have Schlage locks on their homes. They are a common brand of lock, but sometimes they can stop working correctly. If your Schlage lock is not working, there are a few things you can do to try and fix it yourself before calling a professional. In this article, we walked through some common reasons why Schlage locks might not be working and how to fix them. We hope that this article was helpful and that you were able to get your Schlage lock working again. If not, or if you have any other questions about fixing Schlage locks, please feel free to reach out to us and we would be happy to help.